- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
P. ANDREW RILEY
- Position: ATTORNEY AT LAW
- Location: Washington, DC
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 888-860-5678 x721
An experienced patent counselor and first-chair litigator in both federal and state courts, Andrew Riley focuses his practice on complex disputes before U.S. district courts, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Mr. Riley has acted as lead counsel and primary backup counsel in more than 25 inter partes review (IPR) and ex parte reexamination proceedings. He has also acted as lead counsel and ITC local counsel in many ITC Section 337 Investigations. In addition, he has experience litigating in the most popular patent venues, including the E.D. Texas, N.D. California, and D. Delaware.
Mr. Riley is a registered patent attorney who regularly counsels clients on patent procurement and licensing, and also provides opinions of counsel. In 2015, the Legal 500 recognized Mr. Riley for his patent licensing and transactional work. He has worked on matters involving a wide array of technologies, including medical devices, mobile phones, software, wind-turbine generators, motor and hybrid vehicles, Internet applications, semiconductors, image sensors, manufacturing machines, and pharmaceuticals.
Starting in 2014, Mr. Riley became an adjunct associate professor at American University Washington College of Law where he continues to teach a course on intellectual property practice at the ITC.
Prior to law school, Mr. Riley served on active duty as an officer in the U.S. Army. Before joining Mei & Mark, Mr. Riley was a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP.
- Canon Inc. v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, No. 19-1950 (Fed. Cir. 2020).
- Kaneka Corp. v. Xiamen Kingdomway Grp. Co., No. 18-1892 (Fed. Cir. 2019).
- ATEN Int’l Co. v. Uniclass Tech. Co., 932 F.3d 1371 (Fed. Cir. 2019).
- ATEN Int’l Co. v. Uniclass Tech. Co., 932 F.3d 1364 (Fed. Cir. 2019).
- Swagway, LLC v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, 934 F.3d 1332 (Fed. Cir. 2019).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1259, Certain Toner Supply Containers and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1256, Certain Portable Battery Jump Starters and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1211, Certain Vaporizer Cartridges and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1210, Certain Wrapping Material and Methods for Use in Agricultural Applications.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1178, Certain Collapsible and Portable Furniture.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1142, Certain Pocket Lighters.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1139, Certain Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and Component Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1125, Certain Height-Adjustable Desk Platforms and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1123, Certain Carburetors and Products Containing Such Carburetors.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1114, Certain Modular LED Display Panels and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1107, Certain LED Lighting Devices and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1106, Certain Toner Cartridges and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1007/1021, Certain Personal Transporters, Components Thereof, and Packaging and Manuals Therefor.
- Unified Patents Inc. v. iMTX Strategic, LLC (PTAB).
- Ventronics Systems, LLC v. Maquet Critical Care AB (D. Del.).
- Innovative Display Tech. v. Toyota Motor Corp (E.D. Tex.).
- Norman IP Holdings, LLP v. Toyota Motor Sales; Mazda Motor of American; and Subaru of America (E.D. Tex.).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-968, Certain Radiotherapy Systems and Treatment Planning Software, and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-846, CMOS Image Sensors and Products Containing Same.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-839, Certain Electronics, Including Mobile Phones and Tablets.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-813, Certain Electronics Devices with Graphics Data Processing Systems.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-753, Certain Semiconductor Chips and Products Containing Same.
- PJC Logisitcs, LLC v. Toyota Motor Sales (D. Minn.).
- Dako Denmark A/S v. Leica Microsystems Inv. (D. Del).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-726, Certain Electronic Imaging Devices.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-703, Certain Mobile Telephones and Wireless Communication Devices Featuring Digital Cameras.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-641, Certain Variable Speed Wind Turbines.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-561, Certain Combination Motor and Transmission Systems and Devices Used Therein.
- Netscape v. ValueClick (E.D. Va.).
- Author, “Redesign Strategy in Section 337 Investigations at the U.S. International Trade Commission,” Pennsylvania Bar Intellectual Property Newsletter, Apr. 19, 2021.
- Author, “ITC Lessons On Proving Domestic Industry Is Being Created,” Law360, Feb. 8, 2021.
- Author, “What ITC Means by ‘Nexus’ in Domestic Industry Test,” Law360, Mar. 20, 2020.
- Author, “How Inter Partes Review Estoppel Applies (Or Does Not Apply) in District Court,” Virginia Lawyer Magazine, Apr. 2019.
- Co-Author, “Three Strategies for Small Businesses to Protect Their Intellectual Property,” Virginia Lawyer Magazine, Aug. 2017.
- Co-Author, “Top Developments in IP Practice at the ITC in 2015,” BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Jan. 22, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Navigating the Limitations on Discovery in AIA Post-Grant Proceedings,” Buffalo Intellectual Property Law Review, Dec. 4, 2015.
- Co-Author, “The Public Interest Inquiry for Permanent Injunctions or Exclusion Orders: Shedding the Myopic Lens,” Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law, Spring 2015.
- Co-Author, “Auto Companies Are Enjoying Benefits of Inter Partes Review,”Law360, March 20, 2015.
- Co-Author, Amending Fences: Early Failures Amending Claims in Inter Partes Review, ABA Intellectual Property Litigation Newsletter, Aug. 4, 2014.
- Co-Author, “The Role of Stare Decisis at the U.S. International Trade Commission,” Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal, July 2014.
- Co-Author, “Using Design-Patent Protection for Replacement Parts,” Corporate Counsel, June 19, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Putting Up Roadblocks to the Latest ‘Litigation Vehicles’,” Law360, June 11, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Catch Me If You Can: Auto Parts in the Era of 3D Printing,” Law360, May 16, 2014.
- Co-Author, “U.S. International Trade Commission Affirms 10-Year Exclusion Order Against Chinese Chemicals for Misappropriating Trade Secrets,” The Columbia Science and Technology Law Review, April 3, 2014.
- Author, “Inside Trade-Secret Investigations at the U.S. International Trade Commission,” ABA Intellectual Property Litigation Newsletter, Spring 2014.
- Co-Author, “The Surprising Breadth of Post-Grant Review for Covered-Business-Method Patents: A New Way to Challenge Patent Claims,” The Columbia Science and Technology Law Review, Spring 2014.
- Co-Author, “Your Options After an ITC Exclusion Order,” Law360, February 25, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Representing Veterans: How the VA May Be Liable for Your Attorney Fees,” Experience, Fall/Winter 2014.
- Co-Author, “Stare Decisis and Litigating at the International Trade Commission,” Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, November 2013.
- Co-Author, “A Survey of Trade Secret Investigations at the International Trade Commission: A Model for Future Litigants,” The Columbia Science and Technology Law Review, Fall 2013.
- Author, “Examining the Evolving Role the Public Interest Plays at the ITC,” Landslide, September/October 2013.
- Co-Author, “How Courts Consider Patent Injunction’s Impact on Public,” Law360, September 11, 2013.
- Author, “Three Steps to Protect Your Trade Secrets,” Intellectual Property Today, September 2013.
- Co-Author, “Comments Show Need for Improvement in ITC Enforcement,” Law360, August 12, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Preparing for the International Trade Commission’s New Pilot Disposition Program,” Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, August 7, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Why the Sudden Rush to Protect Trade Secrets at the U.S. International Trade Commission?,” Intellectual Property Today, June 2013.
- Co-Author, “ITC Goes from Fast to Faster with 100-Day Requirement,” Law360, May 29, 2013.
- Author, “3 Things Green Tech Firms Can Learn from the Smartphone Wars,” GreenBiz.com, May 15, 2013.
- Co-Author, “An Option for Public Interest Factfinding at the Commission,” 337 Reporter, September 2010.
- J.D., College of William and Mary School of Law
- M.B.A., College of William and Mary
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Boston University
- Executive Committee, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association (ITCTLA)
- Board of Governors, Virginia State Bar Intellectual Property Section
- International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association (337 Reporter, feature editor, 2012-2014)
- American Bar Association (Litigation and Intellectual Property Law Sections)