- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Position: ATTORNEY AT LAW
- Location: Washington, DC
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 888-860-5678 x717
Larry Sandell, a registered patent attorney, focuses his practice on counseling clients on strategic Intellectual Property matters; drafting and prosecuting patent applications; litigating patent infringement and other matters in federal district courts and the International Trade Commission, arguing federal appeals, and handling patent-related Amazon.com take-down disputes. Mr. Sandell has a passion for advising start-ups and other innovative companies on Intellectual Property matters—and focuses on consumer electronics, medical device, food science, software, and cannabis technology areas. He has argued in the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Federal Circuit, the Ninth Circuit, and D.C. Circuit.
Mr. Sandell is the team lead for “hard IP” in Mei & Mark’s grIP platform, which offers wide-ranging legal expertise for start-ups, emerging companies, and VCs. He is also frequently quoted in media regarding the intersection of IP and the cannabis business, including by Forbes and Marijuana Moment.
Prior to joining Mei & Mark LLP, Mr. Sandell worked as an attorney at the Washington, D.C., office of Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner LLP. There, his legal practice focused on patent litigation in both U.S. District Courts and before the International Trade Commission, patent drafting and prosecution, reexamination preparation, opinion work, and client counseling in various electrical and mechanical technology areas.
- Trimble Inv. et al v. PerDiemCo LLC, No. 2019-2164 (Federal Circuit) (Presented oral argument) (question of personal jurisdiction in patent declaratory judgment case).
- Swagway, LLC. v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, No. 2018-1672 (Federal Circuit) (Presented oral argument).
- ATEN International Co., Ltd. v. Uniclass Technology Co., Ltd. et al., No. 2018-1606 (Federal Circuit) (Presented oral argument and revived client’s invalidated patent).
- ATEN International Co., Ltd. v. Uniclass Technology Co., Ltd. et al., No. 2018-1922 (Federal Circuit).
- United States v. AT&T Inc. et al., No. 2018-5214 (DC Circuit) (Represented proposed amicus curiae Cinémoi North America as local counsel).
- Segway, Inc. v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, No. 2018-1556 (Federal Circuit).
- Drop Stop LLC v. Zhu, No. 2018-1533 (Federal Circuit).
- Kaneka Corporation v. Xiamen Kingdomway Group Co., No. 2018-1892 (Federal Circuit).
- Daewoo Electronics America Inc. v. Opta Corporation et al, No. 17-1421 (U.S. Supreme Court) (Petition for Certiorari filed).
- Razor USA LLC et al. v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, No. 2017-2591 (Federal Circuit) (Represented Intervenor Swagway, LLC).
- Triple Up Limited v. Youku Tudou Inc., No. 17-7033 (DC Circuit) (presented oral argument) (question of internet-related personal jurisdiction in copyright infringement case).
- Dragon Intellectual Property, LLC, v. DISH Network L.L.C., Sirius XM Radio Inc., Nos. 2016-2468, -2492 -2186 (Federal Circuit) (Appeal of PTAB finding of invalidity in inter partes review review no. IPR2015-00499).
- Adrian Rivera v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, No. 2016-1841 (Federal Circuit) (represented Intervenor Solofill, LLC and presented oral argument for affirmance of ITC determination of no violation).
- Daewoo Electronics America Inc. v. Opta Corporation et al., No. 2014-17498 (9th Circuit) (Represented appellees Opta Corp. et al concerning claim preclusion issue and presented oral argument).
- Creative Kingdoms, LLC. v. Int’l Trade Comm’n, No. 2014-1072 (Federal Circuit) (Appeal of Section 337 Determination).
- Hinkle v. Shinseki, No. 2011-7094 (Federal Circuit) (Appeal of Veterans’ Claims decision) (Pro bono).
- Battery Conservation Innovations, LLC, v. Adesso, Inc., No 1:20-cv-00463-CFC (D. Del. 2020) (Successfully negotiated dismissal of patent infringement complaint without filing a response or any settlement by defendant).
- Microsoft Corp et al. v. Hon Hai d/b/a Foxconn Tech. Group, No 5:19-cv-01279-LHK (N.D. Cal) (Successfully represented Foxconn in patent license contact breach case through favorable settlement).
- WiniaDaewoo Electronics America Inc. v. Opta Corporation et al., No. 13-cv-01247 (N.D. Cal.) (Successfully represented Opta and related parties in alter ego/ successor liability suit dismissed at summary judgment stage).
- United States v. AT&T Inc. et al., No. 17-cv-2511 (D.D.C.) (Represented proposed amicus curiae Cinémoi North America as local counsel).
- ATEN International Co., Ltd. v. Uniclass Technology Co., Ltd. et al., No. 2:15-cv-04424 (C.D. Cal.) (Patent infringement litigation).
- Nader Asghari-Kamrani & Kamran Asghari-Kamrani v. United Services Automobile Association, No. 2:15-xv-00478 (E.D. Va, Norfolk Division) (Represented independent inventors in patent infringement suit).
- Becton, Dickinson and Company v. Insulet Corporation, No. 10-4371 (D. N.J)(2014) (Patent infringement suit).
- Boston Scientific Corp. v. Mirowski Family Ventures, LLC, No. 1:11-cv-0736 (S.D. Ind.) (2012) (Patent licensing dispute).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1139, Certain Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1123, Certain Carburetors and Products Containing Such Carburetors.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1107, Certain LED Lighting Devices and Components Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1000, Certain Motorized Self-Balancing Vehicles.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-974, Certain Aquarium Fittings and Parts Thereof.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-967, Certain Document Cameras and Software for Use Therewith.
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-876, Certain Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS Devices) and Products Containing Same (represented subpoenaed third party in challenging discovery subpoena).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-770, Certain Video Game Systems and Wireless Controllers and Components Thereof (represented Complainant Creative Kingdoms LLC in suit against Nintendo).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-658, Certain Video Game Machines and Related Three-Dimensional Pointing Devices (represented Complainant Hillcrest Laboratories, Inc. in suit against Nintendo).
- ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-726, Certain Electronic Imaging Devices (represented Respondent Research In Motion, Ltd. (RIM) in suit brought by Flashpoint Technology Inc.).
- Brother Kogoyo Kobushi Kaisha v. Effectrust, E-Z Ink, Linkyo Corp, Amazon Utility Patent Neutral Evaluation Process Case No. 7121605801 (represented sellers of printer cartridges in Amazon dispute).
FIH Co. Ltd v. Arcsoft, Inc., AAA Case No. 01-20-0007-3084 (Successfully represented claimant, a Foxconn subsidiary, in patent licensing dispute through favorable settlement).
Robinson v. International House of Pancakes, No. 09-042009 (Circuit. Ct of 17th Dist., Broward County, Florida, Fifth Dist.) (Successfully represented plaintiff in tort case through favorable settlement).
- Carter v. Panero, No. 2012 E 0004178 H (D.C. Superior Court) (landlord-tenant matter) (pro bono).
- Rivera-Martinez v. Shinseki, No. 12-3613 (U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims) (pro bono).
- Moore v. Shinseki, No. 12-617 (U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims) (pro bono).
- Dowling v. Shinseki, No. 09-817 (U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims) (pro bono).
- Hinkle v. Shinseki, No. 09-515 (U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims) (pro bono).
Select Publications and Presentations
- Scheduled Speaker, “Evolving Intellectual Property Protections and Threats in the Cannabis Space,” 2020 Cannabis Science Conference East, Baltimore, MD, Mar. 29-31, 2021.
- Author, “What 18 Months Of IPR Stats Teach Us About Winning Appeals”, Law360, July 20, 2020. Click here for a PDF copy.
- Author, “Litigating FRAND Rates After Fed. Cir. Ericsson Decision,” Law360, Jan. 17, 2020. Click here for a PDF copy.
- Author, “What Statistical Analysis Reveals About Winning IPR Appeals,” Law360, Aug. 8, 2019. Click here for a PDF copy.
- Speaker on IP Issues, “BEVNET & NOSH Present: A Cannabis Forum For Food & Beverage,” New York, NY, June 14, 2019.
- Speaker, “IP Strategies, Enforcement Considerations, and Potential Ethical Pitfalls in the Burgeoning (Quasi-)Legal Cannabis Industry,” New Jersey Intellectual Property Law Association (NJIPLA): Ethics in IP Seminar. Iselin, NJ, Dec. 6, 2018.
- Author, “What Cannabis Entrepreneurs Need To Know About Intellectual Property,” Marijuana Moment, LLC. June 14, 2018 (click here for link).
- Speaker, “Best Intellectual Property Practices for Bringing New Textile Technology Product to Market: A Primer for Engineers, Business People, and Research Scientists,” Techtextil North America, Atlanta, GA, May 13, 2014.
- Coauthor. “Why Not Throw in the Design of the Kitchen Sink?: The Tricks and Traps of Including Designs in Omnibus Patent Applications,” The Intellectual Property Strategist, Oct. 2013.
- Coauthor. “Trademark Licensees May Be Barred from Challenging the Licensor’s Ownership of the Mark,” LES Insights, Oct. 24, 2011.
- Coauthor. “Patent Licenses Are Presumed to Include Continuation Patents When Same Products Are at Issue,” LES Insights, Sept. 19, 2011.
- Coauthor. “Cross License Agreements Had Only Tenuous Relevance to Determining Reasonably Royalty Damages and Were Not Required to Be Produced,” LES Insights, July 11, 2011.
- Coauthor. “Declaratory Judgment Action Challenging Patent Validity and Infringement Was Dismissed Despite a Patent Owner’s Statement that the Plaintiff’s Product May Infringe Certain Patents,” LES Insights, May 16, 2011.
- Coauthor. “Terminating a License Agreement Precludes Recovering Post-Judgment Royalties Under the Agreement,” LES Insights, March 14, 2011.
- Coauthor. “Licensee Breaches License Agreement by Allowing Its Law Firm Access to the Licensed Technology,” LES Insights, Feb. 14, 2011.
- Coauthor. “Judges Diverge on Use of Patent License Negotiations to Determine a Reasonable Royalty,” LES Insights, Dec. 6, 2010.
- Coauthor. “A Proposal to Remove Uncertainty from Claims of Small Entity Status before the USPTO by Correcting and Enhancing SBA and USPTO Regulations,” Bloomberg Law Reports, Jan. 19, 2010.
- J.D., with high honors, Order of the Coif, George Washington University Law School
- B.S.E., with distinction, Biomedical and Electrical Engineering, Duke University